Monday, October 3, 2011

The Visual Narrative

I have been interested in photography for a while and am often (to the irritation of my friends and family) taking snaps. I was lucky enough to spend a glorious few weeks once hiking in the Indian Himalayas, and was able to spend the whole time taking photos of the landscapes and the people. So I managed to improve a little in that time. 

The leap I have not yet made though is to piece my pictures together to create a narrative of events. I know that this is what sets the good amateurs apart from the trigger happy snappers, but I just never seem to find the time…
So, for this week's assignment I thought I would go back through some old pictures and see if I could piece together a little story. Don't expect it to be too awesome - its my first time. I chose as my topic my family's best ever performance in the annual Veuve Clicquot Bath Boule Tournament. The family team (called the Texas Exiles) came in third place. Next year, we hope to make it through to the finals. 
It may be that you are all familiar with Boule (or petanque), but just in case here is a description. Boule is a French "sport" where each team scores points by throwing steel cannonballs across a stretch of gravel in order to get as close as possible to the cochonnet, a smaller wooden ball. 

I wasn't allowed to participate in the actual boule-playing, because (apparently) I hadn't been in training for long enough. So instead I spent the day taking pictures…
Assessing the piste...
 The team talk tactics
 Good shot!
 "we're holding" - Christophe (the ringer) lets us know the score.
 Close call...tape measures out.
 Victory celebrations

7 comments:

  1. Footnote 1: Ok, so it may not really be a sport. I suppose if you are permitted, nay encouraged, to drink, smoke and eat lunch whilst playing, it can't really be classified as a sport. But you have to remember that in France this is as much exercise as anyone gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard or seen the sport "boule," but your pictures certainly make it seem like it's a lot of fun! I love the way you captured the different emotions throughout the day. Very fun, and great job on creating a narrative!
    Also, I apologize for my late comment on your two oral presentations. I have to say you're an excellent oral advocate! You have a very confident and relaxed demeanor, and have an excellent command of persuasive language. My only constructive point, with regards to style, and this may actually just be my point of view, but I've noticed that you like to spread out all your papers and resources in the table ... I would try to make it look a bit more organized, perhaps have less papers when you go up there to argue, because you really don't tend to use them that much since you're so familiar with your argument, and I feel it may cause a distraction for the arbitrator.
    I am really glad to be in the same class with you and other phenomenal advocates so we can all learn from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like playing petanque, I lived near the Invalides and everyday I used to see a bunch of old men drinking and playing in the gardens... If I had known I would have gotten their numbers... they could have given you some great tips on the game and on the merits of drinking Richard ;)
    Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love petanque. We should all have some Pernod and play sometime. We can speak French in thick southern accents, and discuss narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice use of your own personal images. Very cool. If only people's facebook album photos were all arranged in narrative form instead of just directly uploaded from their cameras or phones.

    Regarding your oral argument, I don't know if it's the accent, but you sound so authoritative! I was extremely impressed by your first argument. You seemed very confident, well-prepared and rehearsed and you inspired me to work much harder than I had on my first go. It seemed you were less prepared on the second round, and perhaps you hadn't planned to go in the first group. I spoke to you after class about your last points. I thought it made your argument seem streamlined and stronger that you emphasized 35.2(b) instead of going into lots of detail on (a), (b) and (c). Overall excellent work, and I'm sure you will be a formidable opponent to whoever goes against you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! i like the idea of using personal images (might actually do that myself because I have the a few in mind that would work quite well together). When I make photo albums I like to sequence the photos such that the person viewing can get a good idea of what was happening.

    During oral arguments I am always really impressed with how you frame the facts and organize your arguments. Beyond that, your delivery is great and I agree that you sound really authoritative and confident. A formidable opponent indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, create a few images that go with the story of your arbitration brief and I think you've got it. I'm with Jonathan about the Pernod and speaking French in thick southern accents.

    ReplyDelete